Myself, I resent any interference toward doing exactly as I please.
Yesterday, I posed a question in a thread, in part asking what our true freedoms were. Not so much that I was clueless, but to question how they may be being infringed. Myself, I resent any interference toward doing exactly as I please. Although, I understand that a certain number of laws are necessary for a common good. I regret that such laws should apply to my person or that they may be interpreted by those I hold in disdain.Yet, such is life. So, in any case, in simple terms, here below are the rights the founding fathers of the United States prescribed to it's citizens:
- First Amendment: Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
- Second Amendment: A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
- Third Amendment: No Soldier shall, in time of peace be quartered in any house, without the consent of the Owner, nor in time of war, but in a manner to be prescribed by law.
- Fourth Amendment: The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.
- Fifth Amendment: No person shall be held to answer for a capital, or otherwise infamous crime, unless on a presentment or indictment of a Grand Jury, except in cases arising in the land or naval forces, or in the Militia, when in actual service in time of War or public danger; nor shall any person be subject for the same offence to be twice put in jeopardy of life or limb; nor shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor shall private property be taken for public use, without just compensation.
- Sixth Amendment: In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right to a speedy and public trial, by an impartial jury of the State and district wherein the crime shall have been committed, which district shall have been previously ascertained by law, and to be informed of the nature and cause of the accusation; to be confronted with the witnesses against him; to have compulsory process for obtaining witnesses in his favor, and to have the Assistance of Counsel for his defence.
- Seventh Amendment: In suits at common law, where the value in controversy shall exceed twenty dollars, the right of trial by jury shall be preserved, and no fact tried by a jury, shall be otherwise reexamined in any Court of the United States, than according to the rules of the common law.
- Eighth Amendment: Excessive bail shall not be required, nor excessive fines imposed, nor cruel and unusual punishments inflicted.
- Ninth Amendment: The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
- Tenth Amendment: The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
Now, the same list 200 some years and 350 million extra people removed from it's original wording.First Amendment
: Fuck religion, fuck the press, damned liars, all. Reserving the right to free assembly, allowing the day may come when we're not too lazy to be arse'd.Second Amendment
:As ridiculous as a successful armed uprising might be, and despite the fact that we'd likely kill each other first, don't fuck with our guns. Because, umm ... you know.Third Amendment
: See aboveFourth Amendment
: "Dave, ...Dave's not here, man."Fifth Amendment
:Only applicable to people with enough sense to keep their mouths shut.Sixth Amendment
: Combined with the 5th, only applicable to those wealthy enough to afford competent legal representation.Seventh Amendment
: Personally, I'd have little faith in anyone stupid enough to actually get on a jury to reach a just decision.Eight Amendment
: Unless we just plain don't like you.Ninth Amendment
: Huh?Tenth Amendment
: Vote Ron Paul
There ya go. Comments and discussion are encouraged.
edit: I type George Washington for a pic tag and I get Adolf Hitler. Wtf, only on TAN.